Worktable Wednesday: Haarige Angelegenheit

The day started with good news and harvesting yesterday’s work. The good news first: My books “The Smiley Oracle” and “to touch and to cut” are now part of the artist book collection of the Crouch Music and Art Library at Baylor University in Texas. Yay!

The harvest was this: I backed some fabrics, and they were dry this morning. But I was not just backing cloth, I was mainly experimenting with different backing papers, to decide on a new one to use. When I started out to make my own book fabric some years ago, I used a tissue paper that was very cheap but tore easily when wet. I quickly moved to an Thai paper which I have been using since. It has only 5g/sm and is still very tear resistant when wet. I have been satisfied with it for a long time. However, recently I found it was a little too thin for my taste. With some of the looser fabrics, I have to be very careful that the glue doesn’t show through even when it is backed. Also since it is so thin, the handling of the pasted up sheet was difficult even if it didn’t tear. Also it had some darker and harder fiber inclusions that showed through white fabrics and sometimes were traceable with the fingers.

And so I tried some different papers, and found the perfect one for now: It is a Japanese paper this time, made to be used for paper batik. It seems no less strong when wet than it is when it is dry. It is very smooth and homogeneous and a little heavier and stronger than the paper I used before: 18 g/sm.

Here’s a picture of the fabric I backed. Unfortunately I didn’t do a good job: Too much paste was left on the paper before laying it down on the fabrics, and it shows as a slightly white gloss on the dark portions of the fabric.

I am thinking of using some methyl cellulose paste for backing. Have you had experiences with both, and is backing easier with the methyl cellulose paste? I never tried it before, but people seem to be using it frequently for that task.

Der Tag heute hat gut angefangen: Mit guten Nachrichten und der Ernte der Früchte der Arbeit von gestern. Die gute Nachricht zuerst: Meine Bücher “The Smiley Oracle” und “to touch and to cut” sind jetzt Teil der Buchkunstsammlung der Crouch Music and Art Bibliothek an der Baylor Universität in Texas. Yippie!

Dann ging es wie gesagt mit der Arbeit und mit einer Ernte der Arbeit von gestern los. Da habe ich nämlich Stoff hinterklebt, um ihn zum Buchbinden vorzubereiten, und heute war er trocken und konnte von den Brettern genommen werden. Diesmal ging es mir vor allem auch darum, verschiedene Papiere auszuprobieren, die ich in Zukunft dafür benutzen will. Bislang habe ich ein Thai Papier benutzt, das mit mittlerweile doch ein wenig zu dünn und zu wenig homogen genug ist.

Die Experimente heute und gestern haben nun einen neuen Favoriten gezeigt: Ein Japanisches Papier, das vor allem auch für Papierbatik benutzt wird. Extra reißfest, auch wenn es naß ist, etwas dicker (18g/qm statt 5g/qm, also trotzdem ganz schön hauzart), und ganz gleichmäßig. Wunderbar. Da werde ich jetzt demnächst gleich mal einen größeren Packen bestellen – und dann wird hier hinterklebt, was das Zeug hält.

Den Rest des Vormittags und den größten Teil des Nachmittags habe ich mit dem Ausarbeiten von verschiedenen Vorschlägen für Auftragsarbeiten verbracht. Ich bin ja in den letzten Wochen kaum zum Arbeiten gekommen da ist so einiges liegen geblieben. Mein Dank an alle Kunden und Freunde, die geduldig auf ihre Vorschläge und Bücher warten!

Zum vorläufigen Abschluss des Tages habe ich dann Deckel für zwei neue Monsterbücher vorbereitet. Die Monsterbücher haben ja alle doppelte Deckel. Das beziehen der oberen davon mit dem Stoff ist immer eine haarige Angelegenheit. Es werden nach und nach die Seiten eingeschlagen, frisiert, und dann die anderen Seiten eingeschlagen. An dem unten im Bild arbeite ich offensichtlich gerade. Der andere Deckel in pink ist schon einen Schritt weiter. Da sind die langen Seiten frisiert, und die kurzen eingeschlagen.

So, und jetzt geht es daran, endlich das Buch für Cathryn für den Swap fertig zu machen, in dem die Absendefrist eigentlich der 31. Januar war…

The rest of the morning and the better half of the afternoon was spent working on and writing down proposals for commissions I received. Since I wasn’t able to work much in the past weeks, much work built up. Thanks to all customers and friends and family who have been patiently waiting for so long. Now I am slowing keeping up with all the work.

The second part of the afternoon was dedicated to some fun with fur: I prepared covers for two more monster books. I am planning to use bigger eyes this time, and I am looking forward to hearing whether you like them better than the ones I used before.

But today I only prepared the covers. In the picture above you see me working on one of the half covers (the monster books all have double covers), cutting the hair on the turn ins of the long side. The other pink cover further in the back is a step further: The long sides are trimmed, and the short sides are also turned in. – You will probably see more of these cuddly guys next week.

And now I really have to continue work on the lace book I still owe to Cathryn. It is part of the swap we are holding at the books arts forum, and the deadline for send-off was actually January 31…

About buechertiger

This is just a first entry to test these features.
This entry was posted in Chitchat and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Worktable Wednesday: Haarige Angelegenheit

  1. cathryn miller says:

    It’s OK: Cathryn is very patient!